Be in the Now

toombaru

Be in the Now

Post by toombaru » Thu May 17, 2007 2:55 pm

The attempt to be in the Now will always overshoot it.

toombaru
Drifter

Re: Be in the Now

Post by Drifter » Thu May 17, 2007 3:41 pm

toombaru wrote:The attempt to be in the Now will always overshoot it.

toombaru
It is effortless isness.

Drifter
epi

Post by epi » Thu May 17, 2007 3:51 pm

toombaru
its the hoop you dont have to jump through :shock:
Drifter

Post by Drifter » Thu May 17, 2007 4:35 pm

emptyprincipal wrote:

toombaru

“A mystic knows without knowledge, without intuition or information, without contemplation or description or revelation. Mystics are not themselves.”

- Attar (Sufi Poet)

"With God, two I's cannot find room. You say I and He says I. Either you die before Him, or let Him die before you; then duality will not remain. But it is impossible for Him to die, either subjectively or objectively, since He is the Living God, the Undying (Koran 25:5 . He possesses such Gentleness that were it possible, He would die for you so that duality might vanish. But since it is impossible for Him to die, you die, so that He may manifest Himself to you and duality may vanish."

~ Rumi

Finding God is coming to one's Self
The more he carries on this intelligent and purposive experimentation with his own life, the deeper becomes his comprehension of the true meaning of life. Until finally he discovers that as he is undergoing a complete transformation of his being, he is arriving at a true perception of the real significance of life as it is. With a clear and tranquil vision of the real nature and worth of life he realizes that God, whom he has been so desperately seeking, is no stranger nor hidden and foreign entity. He is Reality itself and not a hypothesis. He is Reality seen with undimmed vision - that very Reality of which he is a part and in which he has had his entire being and with which he is infact identical.
Thus, though he begins by seeking something utterly new, he really arrives at a new understanding of something ancient. The spiritual journey does not consist in arriving at a new destination where a person gains what he did not have or becomes what he was not. It consists in the dissipation of his ignorance concerning himself and life, and the gradual growth of that understanding which begins with spiritual awakening. The finding of God is a coming to one's own Self.

Meyer Baba

Your's truly

Drifter
Drifter

Post by Drifter » Thu May 17, 2007 4:37 pm

There was once a lover who had sighed for long years in separation from his beloved, and wasted in the fire of remoteness. From the rule of love, his heart was empty of patience, and his body weary of his spirit; he reckoned life without her as a mockery, and time consumed him away. How many a day he found no rest in longing for her; how many a night the pain of her kept him from sleep; his body was worn to a sigh, his heart's wound had turned him to a cry of sorrow. He had given a thousand lives for one taste of the cup of her presence, but it availed him not. The doctors knew no cure for him, and companions avoided his company; yea, physicians have no medicine for one sick of love, unless the favor of the beloved one deliver him.

At last, the tree of his longing yielded the fruit of despair, and the fire of his hope fell to ashes. Then one night he could live no more, and he went out of his house and made for the marketplace. On a sudden, a watchman followed after him. He broke into a run, with the watchman following; then other watchmen came together, and barred every passage to the weary one. And the wretched one cried from his heart, and ran here and there, and moaned to himself: "Surely this watchman is Izrá'íl, my angel of death, following so fast upon me; or he is a tyrant of men, seeking to harm me." His feet carried him on, the one bleeding with the arrow of love, and his heart lamented. Then he came to a garden wall, and with untold pain he scaled it, for it proved very high; and forgetting his life, he threw himself down to the garden.

And there he beheld his beloved with a lamp in her hand, searching for a ring she had lost. When the heart-surrendered lover looked on his ravishing love, he drew a great breath and raised up his hands in prayer, crying: "O God! Give Thou glory to the watchman, and riches and long life. For the watchman was Gabriel, guiding this poor one; or he was Isráfíl, bringing life to this wretched one!"

Indeed, his words were true, for he had found many a secret justice in this seeming tyranny of the watchman, and seen how many a mercy lay hid behind the veil. Out of wrath, the guard had led him who was athirst in love's desert to the sea of his loved one, and lit up the dark night of absence with the light of reunion. He had driven one who was afar, into the garden of nearness, had guided an ailing soul to the heart's physician.

Now if the lover could have looked ahead, he would have blessed the watchman at the start, and prayed on his behalf, and he would have seen that tyranny as justice; but since the end was veiled to him, he moaned and made his plaint in the beginning. Yet those who journey in the garden land of knowledge, because they see the end in the beginning, see peace in war and friendliness in anger.

Such is the state of the wayfarers in this Valley; but the people of the Valleys above this see the end and the beginning as one; nay, they see neither beginning nor end, and witness neither "first" nor "last."20 Nay rather, the denizens of the undying city, who dwell in the green garden land, see not even "neither first nor last"; they fly from all that is first, and repulse all that is last. For these have passed over the worlds of names, and fled beyond the worlds of attributes as swift as lightning. Thus is it said: "Absolute Unity excludeth all attributes."21 And they have made their dwelling-place in the shadow of the Essence. B.

Drifter
godszen

Post by godszen » Thu May 17, 2007 5:59 pm

toombaru
it's like grabbing a fist full of air
Drifter

Post by Drifter » Thu May 17, 2007 6:42 pm

godszen wrote:

toombaru
The Light and the Mirror

The mirror can do nothing to attract the sun. It can only keep bright. As soon as the mind is ready, the sun shines in. [The light] is uncaused and unvarying by itself, and coloured by the mind as soon as it moves and changes. It is very much like a cinema. The light is not in the film, but the film colours the light and makes it appear to move by intercepting it.
Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Drifter
Drifter

Post by Drifter » Thu May 17, 2007 6:49 pm

godszen wrote:

toombaru
On creating your personal way of fighting

Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. In short, enter a mold without being caged in it. Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!

Knowledge in martial arts actually means self-knowledge. A martial artist has to take responsibility for himself and accept the consequences of his own doing. The understanding of JKD is through personal feeling from movement to movement in the mirror of the relationship and not through a process of isolation. To be is to be related. To isolate is death. To me, ultimately, martial arts means honestly expressing yourself. Now, it is very difficult to do. It has always been very easy for me to put on a show and be cocky, and be flooded with a cocky feeling and feel pretty cool and all that. I can make all kinds of phoney things. Blinded by it. Or I can show some really fancy movement. But to experience oneself honestly, not lying to oneself, and to express myself honestly, now that is very hard to do.

On the mental attitudes of combat

Question: What are your thoughts when facing an opponent?
Bruce: There is no opponent.
Question: Why is that?
Bruce: Because the word ''l'' does not exist.
A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself (shows his fist).
Any technique, however worthy and desirable, becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it.

On the power of the fluid

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

On reacting to the opponent

The highest technique is to have no technique. My technique is a result of your technique; my movement is a result of your movement.
A good JKD man does not oppose force or give way completely. He is pliable as a spring; he is the complement and not the opposition to his opponent’s strength. He has no technique; he makes his opponent's technique his technique. He has no design; he makes opportunity his design.
One should not respond to circumstance with artificial and "wooden" prearrangement. Your action should be like the immediacy of a shadow adapting to its moving object. Your task is simply to complete the other half of the oneness spontaneously.
In combat, spontaneity rules; rote performance of technique perishes.

On readiness

Do not be tense, just be ready, not thinking but not dreaming, not being set but being flexible. It is being "wholly" and quietly alive, aware and alert, ready for whatever may come.
The danger of training with the heavy bag is that it doesn't react to one’s attack and sometimes there is a tendency to thoughtlessness. One will punch the bag carelessly, and would be vulnerable in a real situation if this became a habit. Bruce Lee

Love
Drifter
aquarius

Post by aquarius » Thu May 17, 2007 8:08 pm

be in the now

be in the now here

or be in the nowhere

either way be nowhere now
I love talking about nothing ...
it is the only thing i know anything about.
maple3

Post by maple3 » Thu May 17, 2007 8:37 pm

Overshoot the Now??? :-k ...

What an interesting idea :idea:

Of course it's also totally impossible ;)...

That's because the "attempt" to be in the Now will always be in the Now... and not Really overshooting it at all (except as an "idea" ;)).

"Attempts" (just like everything else) are always in the only place they could ever be... in the Now...
toombaru wrote:Be in the Now
Actually, I'd really like to see someone NOT be in the Now... haha, that really would be interesting. :shock:
toombaru wrote:Be in the Now
[not directed at anyone in pariticular]... You really don't have to "BE" where you already/always are....

And hey, you don't even have to tell imaginary "others" to be in the Now either... because geez, where else could they ever be? :roll: :lol:

Love
epi

Post by epi » Thu May 17, 2007 8:44 pm

This thread morphed....rather rapidly

From order to disorder

...or so it would appear
heron

Post by heron » Fri May 18, 2007 10:40 am

Drifter wrote:
emptyprincipal wrote:

toombaru

“A mystic knows without knowledge, without intuition or information, without contemplation or description or revelation. Mystics are not themselves.”

- Attar (Sufi Poet)

"With God, two I's cannot find room. You say I and He says I. Either you die before Him, or let Him die before you; then duality will not remain. But it is impossible for Him to die, either subjectively or objectively, since He is the Living God, the Undying (Koran 25:5 . He possesses such Gentleness that were it possible, He would die for you so that duality might vanish. But since it is impossible for Him to die, you die, so that He may manifest Himself to you and duality may vanish."

~ Rumi

Finding God is coming to one's Self
The more he carries on this intelligent and purposive experimentation with his own life, the deeper becomes his comprehension of the true meaning of life. Until finally he discovers that as he is undergoing a complete transformation of his being, he is arriving at a true perception of the real significance of life as it is. With a clear and tranquil vision of the real nature and worth of life he realizes that God, whom he has been so desperately seeking, is no stranger nor hidden and foreign entity. He is Reality itself and not a hypothesis. He is Reality seen with undimmed vision - that very Reality of which he is a part and in which he has had his entire being and with which he is infact identical.
Thus, though he begins by seeking something utterly new, he really arrives at a new understanding of something ancient. The spiritual journey does not consist in arriving at a new destination where a person gains what he did not have or becomes what he was not. It consists in the dissipation of his ignorance concerning himself and life, and the gradual growth of that understanding which begins with spiritual awakening. The finding of God is a coming to one's own Self.

Meyer Baba

Your's truly

Drifter
It's impossible for 'you' to die if 'you' were never born...................unless, like your birth, in some Dream of Awakening.
Drifter

Post by Drifter » Fri May 18, 2007 12:42 pm

I, is the conjunction of I Am.
Am, is the future participle of I Am.

Both, arise from and in, the consciousness that you aren't and the consciousness you are, presently, presenting, here now.

as Yin and Yang.

Within The Man of Light, an Internal Eternal Light Burns.
Be the Lamp unto your Self, that others may see That Light.

Love
Drifter
heron

Post by heron » Fri May 18, 2007 5:53 pm

Drifter wrote:I, is the conjunction of I Am.

Both, arise from and in, the consciousness that you aren't and the consciousness you are, presently, presenting, here now.

as Yin and Yang.

Love
Drifter
The lamp, self, and light.............are already One.........without having to be what they already are.
Drifter

Post by Drifter » Fri May 18, 2007 6:09 pm

heron wrote:
Drifter wrote:I, is the conjunction of I Am.

as Yin and Yang.

Love
Drifter

The lamp, self, and light.............are already One.........without having to be what they already are.
The deed done right needs no re-doing.
Being needs no re-being.
Its redundancy for who is in question.
If the Lamp is lit, it will shine then of it's own accord and nature.
A beacon for all mariners,
Let all bathe in the Light and the comfort and warmth of its glow-ry.
A Harbor from the storm.

Drifter