awakeningtothedream.com Forum Index awakeningtothedream.com
Non Duality: The one question to all our answers.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transcending desire and compulsion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    awakeningtothedream.com Forum Index -> Awakening to the Dream
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Transcending desire and compulsion Reply with quote

(Apparently) when identification with the body ceased, so did being "ruled" by desire and compulsions.
One odd artifact of this is hunger. Being "just one more" physical sensation it is easy not to attend to it. And, the "need" to eat and sustain the body becomes a "learned" habit. For example, I discovered tht when I don't eat I tend to get weaker. But there is no compulsion, no "should" around eating.
If this kept going I could see "watching" myself starve to death.
One of the benefits of my wife is she reminds me to do stuff I would probably forget to do.
toombaru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Transcending desire and compulsion Reply with quote

nemo wrote:
(Apparently) when identification with the body ceased, so did being "ruled" by desire and compulsions.
One odd artifact of this is hunger. Being "just one more" physical sensation it is easy not to attend to it. And, the "need" to eat and sustain the body becomes a "learned" habit. For example, I discovered tht when I don't eat I tend to get weaker. But there is no compulsion, no "should" around eating.
If this kept going I could see "watching" myself starve to death.
One of the benefits of my wife is she reminds me to do stuff I would probably forget to do.

The so called person is nothing other then the desires and compulsions.

toombaru
michael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Transcending desire and compulsion Reply with quote

nemo wrote:

Hi nemo. Glad you said 'apparently'. Otherwise it would seem I'm still stuck in 'being me' Cool

On toombaru's definition, I'm definitely not dead yet. Shocked

Though it does sound a bit like another catch cry: that people are 'nothing but' matter.

As with all definitions, perhaps it depends on the 'viewpoint'. Looked at another way, 'the person' appears to be infinitely more than the desires and compulsions that arise.

One is not driven by desire. Desire is an expression of Being.

It comes and goes in accord with the story being told.

It may appear that 'One has to break free of desire', or that in breaking free of desire, One achieves some goal. These are just storylines.

A good meal, rollerblading along the Esplanade, sitting quietly with my wife cuddled in my arms, a discussion... enjoyment. The feelings are here when they are present, and not when they are not.

The only rule is that there are no rules... "it's different as everyone" Very Happy

Oh wonder of wonders!

Nothing lost, nothing gained.

Love
toombaru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Transcending desire and compulsion Reply with quote

michael wrote:
nemo wrote:

Hi nemo. Glad you said 'apparently'. Otherwise it would seem I'm still stuck in 'being me' 8)

On toombaru's definition, I'm definitely not dead yet. :shock:

Though it does sound a bit like another catch cry: that people are 'nothing but' matter.

As with all definitions, perhaps it depends on the 'viewpoint'. Looked at another way, 'the person' appears to be infinitely more than the desires and compulsions that arise.

One is not driven by desire. Desire is an expression of Being.

It comes and goes in accord with the story being told.

It may appear that 'One has to break free of desire', or that in breaking free of desire, One achieves some goal. These are just storylines.

A good meal, rollerblading along the Esplanade, sitting quietly with my wife cuddled in my arms, a discussion... enjoyment. The feelings are here when they are present, and not when they are not.

The only rule is that there are no rules... "it's different as everyone" :D

Oh wonder of wonders!

Nothing lost, nothing gained.

Love

The love of 'I-am-ness' can be quite compelling.........but don't worry..........It never lasts too long.........The universe is self cleaning.

toombaru
michael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Transcending desire and compulsion Reply with quote

The same that seems to write:

toombaru wrote:
The love of 'I-am-ness' can be quite compelling.........but don't worry..........It never lasts too long.........The universe is self cleaning.

Seems to write:

"no worries mate" Very Happy

Love
Post new topic   Reply to topic    awakeningtothedream.com Forum Index -> Awakening to the Dream All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: