awakeningtothedream.com Forum Index awakeningtothedream.com
Non Duality: The one question to all our answers.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to put a poster's words in a quote box... (again!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    awakeningtothedream.com Forum Index -> Forum Tips and Suggestions.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maple3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: How to put a poster's words in a quote box... (again!) Reply with quote

Alrightee, here are some very useful and wonderful forum tips and suggestions... and wow, it so happens that they go really well in this wonderful section Leo especially created just for [ta-da!] forum tips and suggestions (and yes, I'm trying to make a "point" Razz)...

Okay, this is a redundant repeat of my (very handy Wink) instructions to explain how to use quote boxes when posting. As usual, when it comes to computers there's more than one way to accomplish this.

In all cases, quoted text must be placed within "tags." Tags are the code that control the quote box. Each section of quoted text must have both a beginning tag and an ending tag in order for the quote box to appear properly.

Putting text in quote boxes can be done automatically by clicking on a person's post, and then writing a response AFTER the last bracket of the closing tag. If you try to write in front of the closing tag, your comments will also end up within the quote box, (which is very confusing, of course).

Another way of quoting is to cut and paste the text into the reply box, select the text to be quoted, and then click on the quote button above the reply box. That will place all selected text automatically in a plain quote box, (i.e. without the username). I'll give detailed instructions for both types of quotes below.

The beginning tag for a quote must precede any section of quoted text. In the reply box as you're typing it the beginning tag will look like one of these options...
Code:
[quote="username"]  ....  [quote]
The first one is the type you get when you click the quote button in a member's post. The second is the one you get when you select the text within the reply box, and then click the quote button above the reply box. Both of these beginning tags use the same ending tag that looks like this following example...
Code:
[/quote]

Each ending tag includes the / to indicate the end of a quote.

Here's an example of a quote that can be made by first selecting the text, and then clicking the quote button above the reply box. This would appear exactly like this in a reply box ...
Code:
[quote]maple3 is a sweet sap[/quote]

And this is how it will appear in the actual post...
Quote:
maple3 is a sweet sap

Alternatively, using the option that uses the person's name within the opening tag will give a different result. These types of tags are created automatically when clicking the quote button on a post, but may also be typed manually in the reply box. In either case (manual or automatic) whenever using a person's name in the opening tag, an equal sign and quotation marks around the username as indicated in this following example must always be included. Thus, typing the following in the reply box...
Code:
[quote="maple3"]maple3 is a sweet sap[/quote]
Will result in this...
maple3 wrote:
maple3 is a sweet sap

Common problems are (1)an opening or closing tag has been left off or deleted... (2)a tag has had one of its opening or closing brackets [ ] dropped off or deleted... (3)the equal sign = is missing... (4)one or both quotation marks is/are missing... (5)the words in the tag (i.e. "quote") has been misspelled). A single item out of place (equal sign, bracket, or quotation mark, etc.) renders the quote box completely inoperable. The "preview" key is great for checking your posts before you submit them. You can use it to see if you've inadvertently left off a bracket or quotation mark.

Another point worth mentioning... if you type your posts in a word program, and then paste them into a reply box, make sure to turn off “smart quotes” (<== those that are curved like commas), because those aren't recognized by the BBCode, and will not activate the quote box.

Also make sure that the checkbox next to "Disable BBCode for this post" is NOT checked. This is found just below the reply box. Having this checked means that all of the tags will be disabled, and will also not activate the quote box.

Again (and as always), if anyone has any further questions, I will be very happy to explain further. After all, the questions you have might also be the same ones someone else has. We could also go into the "advanced" level of discussing how to put quotes within quotes, and also how to use multiple quotes of different posters in a single post. But also if anyone would like do ask questions privately, please feel free to PM me if you prefer that. Smile

Love
lanisha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do I print this topic?
jeff j

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lanisha wrote:

how do i post (t)his image? on "teachers' topic stream?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Meher_lynott.jpg
maple3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lanisha wrote:

jeff wrote:
how do i post (t)his image? on "teachers' topic stream?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Meher_lynott.jpg

Since these questions are unrelated to using quote boxes, I'll start a new thread to answer them so that others (who have these same questions) can easily find them in the list of topics. Let's just keep this thread about one topic because that will be less confusing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    awakeningtothedream.com Forum Index -> Forum Tips and Suggestions. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: