Responsibility

freefall

Responsibility

Post by freefall » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:24 pm

Recent activity on the forum reminds me of the visceral feelings that arise at the suggestion that responsibility/culpability/blame for our actions may not be as straightforward to assign as we think. What makes this issue evoke such a strong response? Sure it's "wrong", but lots of beliefs/pointers/teachings are wrong (I guess they all are, really). What's the deal with this one?

During Sailor Bob's talks in Chicago, one of the people (whom I know, a "devout, striving Buddhist" if ever there was one) challenged Bob quite a bit and almost walked out in a huff at the suggestion that practice and working real hard might not be the point.

He was genuinely offended at the notion that he wasn't necessarily responsible to make "it" (enlightenment, the whole bit) happen. This is another example of the strong feelings that come up around responsibility.

Of course my asking for explanations or answers to "why" questions is its own stereotyped behavior. I guess I can't help myself :-).
cimages

Post by cimages » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:52 pm

There is no one responsible...........Yet......... responsibility is accepted!

Peace! 8)
ThisIsIt

Post by ThisIsIt » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:17 am

cimages wrote:There is no one responsible...........Yet......... responsibility is accepted!
... or ... not ...

love, Stephen
cimages

Post by cimages » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:19 am

ThisIsIt wrote:
cimages wrote:There is no one responsible...........Yet......... responsibility is accepted!
... or ... not ...

love, Stephen
Yes! How true, how true.

Peace! 8) Just be Cool!