About Heron

maple3

And now, Saint Louis geography...

Post by maple3 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:46 pm

lane wrote:if the couch won't deliver (p)lano can help....

Yes,...they specialize in 2nd hand zap-guns...
OK lovelane, I see I'm gonna hafta spell it out for ya...

Here I am... trying to figure out how to lure the fly-guy into doing another loopy fly-by to deliver another package (i.e. the Acme zapper gun thingy), and now you wanna send me to a pawn shop? C'mon, dontcha know, it's not really the zapper I'm after? O:)
lane wrote:although you might consider this one as it is so conveniently close ';)'....

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3716743259
Ah, funny. :lol:

(As an aside, I'd like to point out that that green indicator on the same map is pointing to "Sam Light Loan & Mercantile Company"... it sounds like a fancy-schmancy loan or banking business, right? Well it's really just another very typical pawn shop. Obviously "Sam" is also "show-off" who has a vivid imagination for how to name his pawn shop business. :roll:)

Okay, "Maplewood" is actually the name of a town/suburb just outside the Saint Louis city limits. Most of our suburbs routinely list "Saint Louis" as their official mailing address, although they are not actually within Saint Louis city. They are in fact, a part of Saint Louis County, but Saint Louis City has no connection at all with Saint Louis County, and is not a part of it. (Confused? Well so are we :?) (Also, "Maplewood Pawn Shop" is only a few blocks west of the city's boundary. I've been past it often, because a herbal shop I frequent is very near it.) There's actually a whole slew of businesses in that town with "Maplewood" in their names.

sara wrote:Nah....that's just the way Europeans sneeze. 8)
Oh, okay. Thanks. Maybe the maplesarap would also be good for that sneeze? If not, I guess the gruel and tallow will have to do, (although it's a far, far cry from maple-y and fruity pancakes, mocha on pretty doilies, and fluffy whips :().

Love
lane

Re: And now, Saint Louis geography...

Post by lane » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:02 am

maple3 wrote:
lane wrote:if the couch won't deliver (p)lano can help....
OK lovelane, I see I'm gonna hafta spell it out for ya...

Here I am... trying to figure out how to lure the fly-guy into doing another loopy fly-by to deliver another package (i.e. the Acme zapper gun thingy), and now you wanna send me to a pawn shop? C'mon, dontcha know, it's not really the zapper I'm after? O:)
lane wrote:although you might consider this one as it is so conveniently close ';)'....

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3716743259
Ah, funny. :lol:

(As an aside, I'd like to point out that that green indicator on the same map is pointing to "Sam Light Loan & Mercantile Company"... it sounds like a fancy-schmancy loan or banking business, right? Well it's really just another very typical pawn shop. Obviously "Sam" is also "show-off" who has a vivid imagination for how to name his pawn shop business. :roll:)

Okay, "Maplewood" is actually the name of a town/suburb just outside the Saint Louis city limits. Most of our suburbs routinely list "Saint Louis" as their official mailing address, although they are not actually within Saint Louis city. They are in fact, a part of Saint Louis County, but Saint Louis City has no connection at all with Saint Louis County, and is not a part of it. (Confused? Well so are we :?) (Also, "Maplewood Pawn Shop" is only a few blocks west of the city's boundary. I've been past it often, because a herbal shop I frequent is very near it.) There's actually a whole slew of businesses in that town with "Maplewood" in their names.

sara wrote:Nah....that's just the way Europeans sneeze. 8)
Oh, okay. Thanks. Maybe the maplesarap would also be good for that sneeze? If not, I guess the gruel and tallow will have to do, (although it's a far, far cry from maple-y and fruity pancakes, mocha on pretty doilies, and fluffy whips :().

Love

Thanks for the topography lesson maplelove...and...as it turns out, the herbal shop is just around the corner from sara st. .....how convenient ';)'

That cold remedy is an old remedy.....there's pills now ';)' but for laryngitis maplesarap is still the bestest !! '=D>'

and erhm..... Image just don't zap me when I'm on your doorstep, aaight? ':lol:'
sara

Pills as fast food

Post by sara » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:39 pm

lane wrote:the herbal shop is just around the corner from sara st. .....how convenient ';)'

That cold remedy is an old remedy.....there's pills now ';) aaight? ':lol:'
Pills?!

Awww....shoot, lanelove,
how's that workin' out for ya?!
I just heard you sneeze again!!! :P

Why would you want to deprive yourself of the delicious, soothing, comforting
light bread-pudding, vegetable broth, tallow, gruel, honey. posset, wet toast,
infusions of balm, linseed sharpened with the juice of orange or lemon,
decoctions of barley and liquorice with tamarinds,
and all the other warm, diluting, acid liquors?
maple3 wrote: a herbal shop I frequent
Love
I'll bet that a lot of my cold remedy ingredients,
including gruel and tallow, can be found in that herbal shop.
You probably won't find "fruity pancakes, mocha on pretty doilies, or fluffy whips",
but who needs that when you have maplesara to soak your feet in hot water! 8)

Love,
saremedy
There is only Love
lane

Re: Pills as fast food

Post by lane » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:14 am

sara wrote:
lane wrote:the herbal shop is just around the corner from sara st. .....how convenient ';)'
':lol:'
Pills?!

Awww....shoot, lanelove,
how's that workin' out for ya?!
I just heard you sneeze again!!! :P

but who needs that when you have maplesara to soak your feet in hot water! 8)

Love,
saremedy
Yep, your hearing's just fine...sneezing my å$$ off!!.....but like I/U said, MapleSarap is the bestest remedy....no pill can match...so don't stop now!!!!!

Love,

lane ':P'
maple3

Seeking Demarcation?

Post by maple3 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:12 am

Well, today I had an appointment very near Maplewood, and afterwards I decided to drive over to find the precise "demarcation," and to look for the customary "Welcome to [ ... ]" sign... ya know, just so I could say "I've been there." But when I saw it I really had to laugh. I think it's relevant here, so I also took a pic for you guys.

And I think that's obviously MY Way, haha! ;)

Also, it was so funny to me that it's right outside the door of my favorite herb store, ha!

Okay, since I was already there I stopped in Cheryl's Herbs (Yay! there's always free samples of herbal tea for visitors! :)). And I asked them if they were really in Maplewood, or were they really in St. Louis city. But yes, they're in Maplewood, (so I guess the folks next door are in St. Louis? Weird. :?) Anyways I told them about all of you, and also about lovelane's cold, and they said he should also stop in for the perfect "herbal" remedy. LOL. (but I promise it's much more pleasant than saradoctor's recommendations).

But it's a weird feeling standing on the precise apparent dividing line (which in this case seemed to split right down the middle of building). Consider... before there was ever anyone presumptuous enough to divide the land, there was just the land. Then some no-body decided that this is that, and that that is this. But standing there where the decision was made to divvy up a space in a specific way is always a surreal feeling. And at times like that I always have the most distinct notion that such divisions are totally made-up, bogus. And I also wonder, just how wide is the dividing line? ... Is it 3 inches wide? ... 3 feet wide?... or 3 millimeters? (because once you divide something it seems you also have to define the divider.

Then I went down the street and found the Maplewood Pawn Shop, talked to the proud owner (John), who was VERY pleased to know that people all around the world were "aware" of his shop.

John says his shop is part pawn shop, and part museum, because he has some precious one-of-a-kind items that aren't for sale at any price, (above his red demarcation line).
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/127/3925 ... 6987_o.jpg

(And oh yeah, John is also a musician, and plays in a local band, The Smash Band ... ha! love that name! [ok])

All-in-all, I had lots of fun today scoping out the imaginary dividing line.

LOL... OMG, I just now realized I TOTALLY forgot to ask John about a 2nd-hand Acme zap-gun! #-o

Love
sara

Seeking Demarcation....the 'name' of the game.

Post by sara » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:08 pm

maple3 wrote:Well, today I had an appointment very near Maplewood, and afterwards I decided to drive over to find the precise "demarcation," and to look for the customary "Welcome to [ ... ]" sign... ya know, just so I could say "I've been there." But when I saw it I really had to laugh. I think it's relevant here, so I also took a pic for you guys.

And I think that's obviously MY Way, haha! ;)

Also, it was so funny to me that it's right outside the door of my favorite herb store, ha!

Okay, since I was already there I stopped in Cheryl's Herbs (Yay! there's always free samples of herbal tea for visitors! :)). And I asked them if they were really in Maplewood, or were they really in St. Louis city. But yes, they're in Maplewood, (so I guess the folks next door are in St. Louis? Weird. :?) Anyways I told them about all of you, and also about lovelane's cold, and they said he should also stop in for the perfect "herbal" remedy. LOL. (but I promise it's much more pleasant than saradoctor's recommendations).
Ahhh.... but, mapleflow, have you yet had the good fortune of trying Dutch liquorice with or without tamarinds? :P

maple3 wrote: But it's a weird feeling standing on the precise apparent dividing line (which in this case seemed to split right down the middle of building). Consider...
before there was ever anyone presumptuous enough to divide the land, there was just the land. [sara bold]
Then some no-body decided that this is that, and that that is this.
But standing there where the decision was made to divvy up a space in a specific way is always a surreal feeling.
And at times like that I always have the most distinct notion that such divisions are totally made-up, bogus.
And I also wonder, just how wide is the dividing line? ... Is it 3 inches wide? ... 3 feet wide?... or 3 millimeters?
(because once you divide something it seems you also have to define the divider.)
8)
Lovely!
You always have the bestest pointless pointers, maplesplit! :wink:

maple3 wrote: Then I went down the street and found the Maplewood Pawn Shop, talked to the proud owner (John), who was VERY pleased to know that people all around the world were "aware" of his shop.

John says his shop is part pawn shop, and part museum, because he has some precious one-of-a-kind items that aren't for sale at any price, (above his red demarcation line).
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/127/3925 ... 6987_o.jpg

(And oh yeah, John is also a musician, and plays in a local band, The Smash Band ... ha! love that name! [ok])

All-in-all, I had lots of fun today scoping out the imaginary dividing line. [sb]
Heh

maple3 wrote: LOL... OMG, I just now realized I TOTALLY forgot to ask John about a 2nd-hand Acme zap-gun! #-o
For that may we be made truly grateful!

Love,
sarazapped?! :shock:
There is only Love
maple3

Re: Seeking Demarcation....the 'name' of the game.

Post by maple3 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:03 pm

sara wrote:Ahhh.... but, mapleflow, have you yet had the good fortune of trying Dutch liquorice with or without tamarinds? :P
No, I haven't. I do know for a fact that Cheryl's Herbs has licorice, (the root, not the candy), so it's probably not the "Dutch" kind? And it's possible they also have tamarinds (are those medicinal?) But to combine them in some special "Dutch" formula?... well, you might have to send me a batch from the Original Source. ;)
sara wrote:Lovely!
Thank you! :D ... And that's why I come back here, because I do love being pointlessly pointed! :lol: ...
And I think that was actually a "maplesplitshift"... admittedly a bit tricky, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. \:D/
sara wrote:
maple3 wrote:All-in-all, I had lots of fun today scoping out the imaginary dividing line. [sb]
Heh
Ya know, at the exact moment I found it, that's when I also realized it didn't exist at all. But wow, it was so much fun finding what wasn't there, and talking to folks about it as if it was really real.

REWIND ;)
lane wrote:Thanks for the topography lesson maplelove...and...as it turns out, the herbal shop is just around the corner from sara st. .....how convenient ';)'
And did you notice there's also "Maple Ave" and "Anna Ave" in the neighborhood? I saw those and immediately started looking around for "Jeff St," Michael Ave," Fox St," "Heron Ave," "Leo Place" and "LoveLane" LOL... but no, just us three females seemed to be hanging out in a group. :D
lane wrote:and erhm..... Image just don't zap me when I'm on your doorstep, aaight? ':lol:'
Okay, if you keep your promise to "shock" me, I'll solemnly promise not to "zap" you. How's that? ;) :D

Love
fox

Post by fox » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:01 pm

There is not only a Fox Street but also...:

:)
maple3

Fabulous!

Post by maple3 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:52 pm

Haha, that reminds me... (I don't know why I didn't think of it before #-o)

St. Louis does have its very own beloved Fox, but it's not a street. It was once part of the Fox movie empire... but now it's "independently" regarded as "The Fabulous Fox."

http://www.fabulousfox.com/

Love
fox

Re: Fabulous!

Post by fox » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:41 am

maple3 wrote:Haha, that reminds me... (I don't know why I didn't think of it before #-o)

St. Louis does have its very own beloved Fox, but it's not a street. It was once part of the Fox movie empire... but now it's "independently" regarded as "The Fabulous Fox."

http://www.fabulousfox.com/

Love

Wow!!

[tanz]
lane

Post by lane » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:30 pm

maple3 wrote:Cheryl's, my favorite herb store.....
it's probably not the "Dutch" kind?......combine them in some special "Dutch" formula?... well, you might have to send me a batch from the Original Source. ;)
The "dutch kind" of herb store would be a "coffeeshop" ':wink:' and realize your asking to break "US" the law ? ':wink:'[bigsmile]'

maple3 wrote:And I think that was actually a "maplesplitshift"... admittedly a bit tricky, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. \:D/
You mean that vague but intriguing reflection of (is it??)maple in the pawnshop window??

And on the pic of (John) inside his shop....above the red demarcation/"maplesplitshift"-line, what's that maple thingie on the 2nd guitar on the left??

REWIND ;)
lane wrote:Thanks for the topography lesson maplelove...and...as it turns out, the herbal shop is just around the corner from sara st. .....how convenient ';)'
maple3 wrote: And did you notice there's also "Maple Ave" and "Anna Ave" in the neighborhood? I saw those and immediately started looking around for "Jeff St," Michael Ave," Fox St," "Heron Ave," "Leo Place" and "LoveLane" LOL... but no, just us three females seemed to be hanging out in a group. :D
fox wrote:There is not only a Fox Street but also...:

As it turns out, there's three apparent ladies and an apparent fox hanging out together, but I'd prefer to think "three apparently foxy ladies".... ':lol:' ':wink:' (sorry fox...)

lane wrote:and erhm..... Image just don't zap me when I'm on your doorstep, aaight? ':lol:'
maple3 wrote: Okay, if you keep your promise to "shock" me, I'll solemnly promise not to "zap" you. How's that? ;) :D

Love

If I'd keep that promise, will that affect how you "strut" your stuff?? ':roll:' ':lol:'

stacey

Post by stacey » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:16 pm

I just browsed johns pawn shop web site and I see a sign that says something about Maple Leaf Lane...it is near the worlds smallest guitars on the shelf.

just seeing if you were aware
maple3

Post by maple3 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:00 am

lane wrote:The "dutch kind" of herb store would be a "coffeeshop" ':wink:' and realize your asking to break "US" the law ? ':wink:'[bigsmile]'
Asking U's to break the law??? Or is it that U's just want to keep all the "goodies" to yourself?
lane wrote:
maple3 wrote:And I think that was actually a "maplesplitshift"... admittedly a bit tricky, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. \:D/
You mean that vague but intriguing reflection of (is it??)maple in the pawnshop window??
OMG, I read that and LOL... and thought, "Naw, he's lying. I KNOW I double checked to make sure there was no "reflection." Or did I? Yeah, I'm absolutely sure I DID check. Okay, maybe I better check again, just to be sure. Lovelane's probably just teasing, but yeah, I'd better check again." [-o< [then... checking the pic... checking... checking... still seeing no reflection... sigh of relief... "yeah, he made it up to scare me, whew... LOL" ... then... :shock: "OMG! Yikes! ... Oh no! ... there's my legs??? Awww damn! #-o LOL"] ... :oops:

Wow lovelane, you're VERY observant. Are you a detective or sumpin'? should we call you eagle eye? Well, at least my face IS covered... for sure! =; Yep, that's me, intriguing, reflective, (but thankfully, I'm still "vague" ;) :D).

(BTW, John had also offered to take my pic inside the shop so I could "show-off" to all of you that I had been there, but I told him "Naw, I'm still being anonymousie." :-$)
lane wrote:And on the pic of (John) inside his shop....above the red demarcation/"maplesplitshift"-line, what's that maple thingie on the 2nd guitar on the left??
LOL, Gawd!.. you're hilarious! ... and sooo keen! (and stacey's pretty sharp too! Yikes!) ... geez, I forgot all about that other maple thingie. LOL. It so happens that I took an even better pic of it. (stacey, is that the smallest guitar you mentioned?) And John and I actually discussed the maple thingie sheet music at length too. [okay here's comes more St. Louis history...] Scott Joplin was the composer of the the "Maple Leaf Rag," and he lived most of his life in St. Louis. John said his copy of the MLR was an original of the second edition, which means it's about 90-95 years old, (which is why it's in the "museum"). I told John I play the piano, and have a more recent reprint of that exact copy that was purchased about 10 years ago from our Scott Joplin museum.

Okay, whether 90 years or 10 years, that's just more imaginary demarcation, right? After all, what is it that makes the antique an antique?... a valuable treasure?... made-up imaginary time?... and made-up imaginary treasures? To me, antiques are just like city boundary lines, the exact moment I discover them, I also know immediately that their antique-ness is just a made-up thing, bogus, concocted by a no-body.
lane wrote:If I'd keep that promise, will that affect how you "strut" your stuff?? ':roll:' ':lol:'
Hey, wait just a minute... I thought it was YOU who'd be doing the strutting??? Don't you dare try to change the "story" at this stage of the "game." (But hey, I promise to giggle uncontrollably while you strut. Would that be okay?) ;) O:)

Love