Fear

empty-and-full

Fear

Post by empty-and-full » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:31 am

Does fear come from the assumption that there is a "someone" who can lose something?
toombaru

Re: Fear

Post by toombaru » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:03 am

empty-and-full wrote:Does fear come from the assumption that there is a "someone" who can lose something?

Fear is an adaptive mechanism that evolved to facilitate the survival of the organism......be it physical or psychological.

Fear in the physical realm is protecting something substantial....fear in the conceptual realm is protecting an illusion.

toombaru
maple3

Post by maple3 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:13 am

empty-and-full wrote:Does fear come from the assumption that there is a "someone" who can lose something?
Not necessarily.

"Fear" is just a hard-wired emotion, not something created or done by anyone. Fear is just a handy thing for a biological being to have when it needs to feel motivated to protect itself... naturally.

But then... this being sentient means we also get this strange notion that we are a someone who can lose something... and then we often fear that impending loss, yes. Somehow we can feel great danger from the made-up images in our over-active imaginations. We can fear what hasn't happened... or what never will happen... or what certainly will happen, but hasn't happened yet.

Of course that would be misplaced fear... or fear run amok.

Then we fear the inevitable... or what we can't change... or the imagined future... or just the stark naked ISness of life.

So... maybe the problem is we "know" too much? :-k
toombaru wrote: Fear is an adaptive mechanism that evolved to facilitate the survival of the organism......be it physical or psychological.

Fear in the physical realm is protecting something substantial....fear in the conceptual realm is protecting an illusion.
In neither the physical nor the conceptual realm is anything substantial actually being protected. The truth of that is just perhaps more obvious in the so-called conceptual realm.

Love
michael

Post by michael » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:08 am

toombaru wrote:

Fear is an adaptive mechanism that evolved to facilitate the survival of the organism......be it physical or psychological.

toombaru
toombaru... you speak like you know...

but as there are plenty of organisms who manage to play 'mouse' and 'cat' with their own predators without the 'fear factor'... where did you get this insight that "Fear is an adaptive mechanism that evolved to facilitate the survival of the organism......be it physical or psychological..."

lets be honest... you made it up... :D

observation would suggest that 'fear' is a disabling experience... wherein the 'person' suffering fear is either 'transfixed in the face of danger'... or 'responds in some other inappropriate manner that actually endangers the person'...

a fear of heights may seems to stop people going close to the edge... but people who are most afraid are the ones who most usually fall... :shock:

'creatures' have no need of 'fear' to ensure their survival... just a watchful eye and good reflexes... 8)

though all this is just a story... :D

'fear' is a feeling... gut wrenching it seems... that is attached to an object conceived to be 'real' or 'imagined'... that arises with the idea that this 'object' is a threat to the 'person I seem to be... or to something that is mine'...

the 'apparent object' is then said to be 'fearful... but the fear is not in the object...

it is in this imagination...

as 'empty-and-full' suggests it is based around an 'assumed someone' who has 'something to lose'... AND an assumed 'other' that can 'take it away'...

Love
From Source to Source: an Endless Spring
meL

Post by meL » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:30 am

M

too many words :shock:

BUT

THAT was Great !

:D

M29A
meL

Post by meL » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:37 am

i maybe
mis-taken AGAIN :shock:

BUT

how do
WE share THIS

?

WE
have
rolled
the
stone
aside

Too poetic ... oh well :D :D :D
awakening
Site Admin

Post by awakening » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:07 am

Fear comes from the dictionary...
meL

Post by meL » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:18 am

awakening wrote:Fear comes from the dictionary...
perfect
meL

Post by meL » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:21 am

NOW
"
Blood Music
"

I
TAKE
IT

DONT
TOUCH
ME

HO HO HO ... or is it HA HA HA
8)
ANNA

Post by ANNA » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:22 am

meL wrote:
perfect
...then from where the dictionary comes? lol :wink: :P

...perhaps from that
perfect place
from where the Love comes...

Time for a lunch...

:wink: :P :lol:
michael

Post by michael » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:23 am

(smart arse... :D )

...but only if you suffer from 'logophobia'... 8)

which I obviously do not... :roll:

Love
meL

Post by meL » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:23 am

from my tv
NOW
"
Something You Dream Of.............................
"

She is Love
michael

Post by michael » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:24 am

ANNA wrote:
meL wrote:
perfect
...then from where the dictionary comes? lol :wink: :P

...perhaps from that
perfect place
from where the Love comes...

Time for a lunch...

:wink: :P :lol:

Love
meL