Strange experience

Chalis

Strange experience

Post by Chalis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:14 am

A while ago I had this weird experience when I woke up from a nap. You know when you wake up and for a split second you don't know where you are? Well it was like this but longer and I didn't just not know where I was but didn't know who or what I was, nor anything around me. There was no story and there was no recognition of anything. Nothing had meaning. I had perception, I saw shapes and colours and I heard sounds but they were not attached to any labels. It was pure perception without a sense of self. VERY weird indeed. When the mind appeared it got quite scared and scrabbled around wildly for a few seconds to make sense of it. There was a huge sigh of relief when the story re-emerged eventually.

Why this fear?
michael

Re: Strange experience

Post by michael » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:41 am

Chalis wrote:A while ago I had this weird experience when I woke up from a nap. You know when you wake up and for a split second you don't know where you are? Well it was like this but longer and I didn't just not know where I was but didn't know who or what I was, nor anything around me. There was no story and there was no recognition of anything. Nothing had meaning. I had perception, I saw shapes and colours and I heard sounds but they were not attached to any labels. It was pure perception without a sense of self. VERY weird indeed. When the mind appeared it got quite scared and scrabbled around wildly for a few seconds to make sense of it. There was a huge sigh of relief when the story re-emerged eventually.

Why this fear?
ahh yes... pure sensation... meaningless...

not weird at all... it is... as it always is... :D

so often has it been said on this forum... but this is the first reported 'experience'... 8)

all sensations are meaningless... they are no 'thing' at all... nor do they ever become any 'thing'...

seeing-colour is only ever seeing-colour... inseparable... meaningless... no 'thing' at all

hearing-sound is only ever hearing-sound... inseparable... meaningless... no 'thing' at all

feeling-feelings is only ever feeling-feelings ... inseparable... meaningless... no 'thing' at all

tasting-flavours is only ever tasting-flavours... inseparable... meaningless... no 'thing' at all

smelling-odours is only ever smelling-odours... inseparable... meaningless... no 'thing' at all

only as 'number', 'form' and 'meaning' are recalled... and 'overlaid' upon the sensory images... do they (the sensory images) magically appear AS 'things'... though they are not... it is an illusion... a phantom... formed in the instantaneous concord of sensations and meaning...

why the fear... some may say "because it heralds the death of the ego"...

but seeing this 'self' that cannot be conceived of... for the first time... again... is just another party trick... :shock:

there are no prizes to be won... nor any 'ego' to be lost...

for nothing ever changes...

the sensations that are now remembered as being meaningless... are meaningless still...

even though they now appear to be 'things'... as 'meaning' is instantly recalled...

but the knowing of this number form and meaning is ever thus... it never changes...

it is all a wonder full game of One...

Love
Last edited by michael on Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
From Source to Source: an Endless Spring
michael

Post by michael » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:45 am

welcome home dear One...

"arriving at the place you never left
seeing it as if for the first time"...

Love
Chalis

Post by Chalis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:53 am

Thankyou Michael.... speaking from the One so beautifully....

Yes. And still I wonder why it feels so frightening? Why the mind tries to make this meaninglessness go away in a total panic? If it is home then why does it feel so strange?

Sorry about all these questions, I don't really expect answers... just rambling on.....

:D
michael

Post by michael » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:02 am

Chalis wrote:Thankyou Michael.... speaking from the One so beautifully....

Yes. And still I wonder why it feels so frightening? Why the mind tries to make this meaninglessness go away in a total panic? If it is home then why does it feel so strange?

Sorry about all these questions, I don't really expect answers... just rambling on.....

from the perspective of michael there is no fear in meaninglessness...

any fear is not 'intrinsic' to the experience... it is just as it appears from the perspective of chalis... it is another aspect of the assumed 'ego' that is 'the story of chalis'...

the same that seems to experience no fear from the perspective of michael is the same the seems to experience fear from the perspective of chalis...

two momentary experiences...

One...

Love
jeff j

Post by jeff j » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:11 pm

Chalis wrote:
Why the mind tries to make this meaninglessness go away in a total panic? If it is home then why does it feel so strange?
maybe home
is a stranger place
then my mind can imagine
:lol:
my mind loves (to create) (a sense of) continuity,
so it fills in the blanks, it translates the abstractions
it lables the unknown...

so maybe it panics,
because we have been conditioned to know,
to fill in blanks & translate abstractions etc.
panic seen in this way would be merely
an introduction to the wonderfilled
world(s) of the unknown...
:lol:

"meaningless is meaning less
these days"
be yourself, the real fictional character?
danny

Post by danny » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:07 pm

this is the perfect place to mention my weird experience last night...

It happened as I awoke in the night to go to the loo.

Although, nobody awoke and it didn't happen to anyone.

It started with nothing. There 'was' nothing. then, there was awareness. then there was awareness of something, followed by the gradual awareness that the 'something' was a room. and then, the awareness that I am in the room, but who or what I am I don't know. It turns out I'm a man. Then I'm wondering if I own this room, or if I am renting it. It turns out I'm renting it. I don't have any personality or past yet- I'm a man who rents a room. Then I wonder where the room is. I try to visualise outside the window- oh yes, I'm in a towerblock.

I don't know about the rest, but I get the feeling all the other personal details of past and history and interests all got filled in suddenly, completing the picture.

I'd liken it to watching a speedy artist sketching a whole life quickly on what begins as a blank sheet of paper. And I can look at the picture, and believe the man in it is real, and the room is real, but in fact, it's still just a blank piece of paper with some pigment on.

Or actually, developing a photograph is closer. Starting from blank, a few rudimentary forms appear, then some more detail, and suddenly Voom! all the subtleties appear in breathtaking accuracy.

If that's a good metaphor for Oneness then well done me! :D but don't expect me to be quite so spiritually sensitive when I'm no longer ill :lol:
maple3

Post by maple3 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:16 pm

Chalis wrote:Why this fear?
Ah yes, the "fear" factor again...

One book that might help explain is Collision with the Infinite by Suzanne Segal.

Love
Chalis

Post by Chalis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:17 pm

Sounds familiar! What would interest me is how you felt while the blanks were slowly filled in. Did you find it scary or were you simply watching it unfolding?

PS: I like the way you write
Chalis

Post by Chalis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:32 pm

maple3 wrote:

One book that might help explain is Collision with the Infinite by Suzanne Segal.

Love
Interesting, I've tried to get hold of that one but it's out of print and the second hand ones sell at totally ridiculous prices on Amazon Marketplace!
meL

Post by meL » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:25 pm

"
When

the mind appeared

it got quite scared and scrabbled around wildly for a few seconds

to make sense of it.

There was a huge sigh of relief when the story re-emerged eventually.

Why this fear?
"

"
... the mind appeared ... to make sense of it
"

:D :D :D :D
maple3

Post by maple3 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:39 pm

Chalis wrote:
maple3 wrote:

Love
Interesting, I've tried to get hold of that one but it's out of print and the second hand ones sell at totally ridiculous prices on Amazon Marketplace!
Oh wow, I hadn't realized. :shock:

I was fortunate to find a library copy.

And if it's not at your local library perhaps inquire about an inter-library loan?

But in any case, encountering "fear" at the Realization is not at all unusual.

Also it's common to try to immediately grasp frantically, to try to regain what has been seemingly lost.

Another common response is a deep dread at the very stark aloneness... :roll:

And yet another response is hysterical laughter at the absurdity of having bought into the illusion that fell away :lol:

And it's really strange to experience all of those all at once. [schock]

Love
meL

Post by meL » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:46 pm

meL wrote:"
When

the mind appeared

it got quite scared and scrabbled around wildly for a few seconds

to make sense of it.

There was a huge sigh of relief when the story re-emerged eventually.

Why this fear?
"

"
... the mind appeared ... to make sense of it
"

:D :D :D :D
Do You SEE what happened?
ALL i had to do was report my Surround !

The non-existant mind is fear.

NOW She sings
"
You Dont KNOW Me
"

You only SEE Her :D
meL

Post by meL » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:09 pm

"
Tell IT Like IT IS
"
danny

Post by danny » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:52 pm

Chalis wrote:Sounds familiar! What would interest me is how you felt while the blanks were slowly filled in. Did you find it scary or were you simply watching it unfolding?

PS: I like the way you write
Thankyou.

Mostly, awareness. The mind panicked when it realised 'I' was in the room, but didn't know what 'I' was. Apart from that, it was acceptance.

As for 'collision with the infinite', have you tried ebay? I picked up a copy for about 6 or 7 pounds. I'd offer to lend it to you, but I sent it to my friend in Brighton, and then he lent it to his dad- who hated it! He's a big Eckhart Tolle fan, doesn't like to be told he's a nobody! Anyway, I'll mention it to my friend next time I email him, see if I can get it back.

I know what you mean about those amazon sellers- greedy ****ers!