Strange experience

danny

Post by danny » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:57 pm

you can get a used copy here for five pounds-

link
Last edited by danny on Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chalis

Post by Chalis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:17 pm

Oh thanks, just ordered it! [ok]
Chalis

Re: Strange experience

Post by Chalis » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:19 pm

maple3 wrote:
Chalis wrote:
maple3 wrote:
Chalis wrote:Why this fear?
Ah yes, the "fear" factor again...

One book that might help explain is Collision with the Infinite by Suzanne Segal.

Love
Interesting, I've tried to get hold of that one but it's out of print and the second hand ones sell at totally ridiculous prices on Amazon Marketplace!
:D
Oh wow, I hadn't realized. :shock:

I was fortunate to find a library copy.

And if it's not at your local library perhaps inquire about an inter-library loan?

But in any case, encountering "fear" at the Realization is not at all unusual.

Also it's common to try to immediately grasp frantically, to try to regain what has been seemingly lost.

Another common response is a deep dread at the very stark aloneness... :roll:

And yet another response is hysterical laughter at the absurdity of having bought into the illusion that fell away :lol:

And it's really strange to experience all of those all at once. [schock]

Love
Yes, that must be one hell of a ride, lol!
I've had some hysterical laughter, prefer that to panic, thankyou very much!
danny

Post by danny » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:26 pm

Chalis wrote:Oh thanks, just ordered it! [ok]
:lol:

You're welcome!

I'll remove the link now, cos it's stretching the page!
godszen

Post by godszen » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:13 am

Chalis wrote:A while ago I had this weird experience when I woke up from a nap. You know when you wake up and for a split second you don't know where you are? Well it was like this but longer and I didn't just not know where I was but didn't know who or what I was, nor anything around me. There was no story and there was no recognition of anything. Nothing had meaning. I had perception, I saw shapes and colours and I heard sounds but they were not attached to any labels. It was pure perception without a sense of self. VERY weird indeed. When the mind appeared it got quite scared and scrabbled around wildly for a few seconds to make sense of it. There was a huge sigh of relief when the story re-emerged eventually.

Why this fear?
too bad "the mind appeared"
awakening
Site Admin

Post by awakening » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:30 am

maple3 wrote:
Chalis wrote:Why this fear?
Ah yes, the "fear" factor again...

One book that might help explain is Collision with the Infinite by Suzanne Segal.

Love
A book wherein a woman gets really worried that all of a sudden she does no longer seems to have a personal self....always wondered who it was that had -or lost- this self and even more curious...who was getting worried about this? She manages to get comfortable with this 'absence of self.' In the end she is diagnosed with a brain tumor and in the edition I read, a close friend reports that towards the end she was unhappy that 'the experience' left her.

An interesting story...but for simple clarity, I believe there are better books.

Here is a link:

http://www.awakeningtothedream.com/reading/

The top 2 rows have some all time favorites.

aquarius

Post by aquarius » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:28 am

She manages to get comfortable with this 'absence of self.' In the end she is diagnosed with a brain tumor and in the edition I read, a close friend reports that towards the end she was unhappy that 'the experience' left her.
Regarding the book ..
i agree with leo there are better books about clarity.
i have read a few chapters of 'collision with the infinite'
and of when the friend reports of how suzanne segal felt she had lost
that 'absence of self' experience,

to me that didn't sound right, but then again each to their own,
or maybe fear of the unknown takes over and clouds the senses again
i mean it can't be an easy thing to do to die prematurely and know you are going to die young.

:cry:
I love talking about nothing ...
it is the only thing i know anything about.
awakening
Site Admin

Post by awakening » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:15 am

aquarius wrote:
She manages to get comfortable with this 'absence of self.' In the end she is diagnosed with a brain tumor and in the edition I read, a close friend reports that towards the end she was unhappy that 'the experience' left her.
Regarding the book ..
i agree with leo there are better books about clarity.
i have read a few chapters of 'collision with the infinite'
and of when the friend reports of how suzanne segal felt she had lost
that 'absence of self' experience,

to me that didn't sound right, but then again each to their own,
or maybe fear of the unknown takes over and clouds the senses again
i mean it can't be an easy thing to do to die prematurely and know you are going to die young.

:cry:
Yes...there's no telling how the body/mind will respond... and if my words sound like judging her, then that's not the intention.

aquarius

Post by aquarius » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:46 am

awakening wrote:
aquarius wrote:
and if my words sound like judging her, then that's not the intention.

Aqua
No, no, no leo your words were not judgmental at all,
you were merely highlighting something of interest regarding ''self awareness'' and how we can so easily lose the clarity we once felt when ultimately we are faced with our own personal demise.

personally from my point of view i would find it odd to lose the sense of 'self absence' but then again i've not yet been in a dying situation.
I love talking about nothing ...
it is the only thing i know anything about.
Chalis

Post by Chalis » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:58 am

I have read a few books that have been very helpful regarding clarity, one of the best I have to say was Leo's - and I am not just saying that cause I'm on his forum, lol! But with Suzanne's book I am hoping to see how it was for her when the awakening happened so spontaneously and how she dealt with the arising fear. As for the end - I think a brain tumour can do weird things to the mental experiences so I am not surprised that she may have felt she "lost" it - when of course you can't ever lose it. Only the body-mind can lose it and I think that's what must have happened.
Lydian

Post by Lydian » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:04 pm

aquarius wrote: personally from my point of view i would find it odd to lose the sense of 'self absence' but then again i've not yet been in a dying situation.
I think that the question that remains is: who is the 'me' that worries about the absence of me?

Yet, apparent functioning is still arising... hearing... seeing.... feeling.... thinking....

Apparent body-ing and mind-ing..... and world-ing........ for no one....

Perhaps within this there may have been a kind of to-ing and fro-ing in and out of identity.

I too have some reservations about the book, but there are some insightful passages.

Check this:

"I finally saw what had been in front of me the whole time but had been obscured by fear: There is not only no individual self, but also no other. No self, no other. Everything is made of the same substance of vastness."

And:

"The individual self is nothing but an idea of who we are. Ideas are ideas and nothing more. An idea can never be the doer or creator of anything; it can only be what it is - an idea"

awakening
Site Admin

Post by awakening » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:06 pm

Lydian wrote:
I think that the question that remains is: who is the 'me' that worries about the absence of me?
Yes Lydian, that was exactly the feeling the first part of the book left me with...who is upset by -or confused with- the absence of 'me'?

As for 'the experience that left'
IT is not an experience
but the inexperience-able experiencing.

Still, there is some good stuff in the book...
an interesting story with some great moments.

maple3

Post by maple3 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:28 pm

Chalis wrote:I have read a few books that have been very helpful regarding clarity, one of the best I have to say was Leo's - and I am not just saying that cause I'm on his forum, lol! But with Suzanne's book I am hoping to see how it was for her when the awakening happened so spontaneously and how she dealt with the arising fear. As for the end - I think a brain tumour can do weird things to the mental experiences so I am not surprised that she may have felt she "lost" it - when of course you can't ever lose it. Only the body-mind can lose it and I think that's what must have happened.
That's exactly why I recommended the book, not because it was the best pointer of non-duality, but because I thought it was the absolute best book to answer the question of "why the fear?"

I found the book to be one of the most helpful in explaining and addressing the psychological "machinery" that remains after the sense of self falls away. But I read it almost 4 years ago and now I can't remember how to explain what it said. So I just figured it was best to recommend the book; that seemed much better than me trying to explain what the book said.

As to how she dealt with the fear... as I recall, not so good. She was quite miserable for a long time. She finally did find someone to help her with the fear, to explain what had happened to her, and also to alleviate some of the fear, (but not completely). As I recall he was/is a psychologist, and also a practicing Buddhist.

Love
toombaru

Post by toombaru » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:37 pm

aquarius wrote:
awakening wrote:
aquarius wrote:
and if my words sound like judging her, then that's not the intention.

Aqua
No, no, no leo your words were not judgmental at all,
you were merely highlighting something of interest regarding ''self awareness'' and how we can so easily lose the clarity we once felt when ultimately we are faced with our own personal demise.

personally from my point of view i would find it odd to lose the sense of 'self absence' but then again i've not yet been in a dying situation.

Oh my dear........you are currently in a dying situation.

The self cannot loose the sense of self.

It never dies................because it never lived.

Now the physical organism..........that's another matter.

toombaru
toombaru

Post by toombaru » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:40 pm

Chalis wrote:I have read a few books that have been very helpful regarding clarity, one of the best I have to say was Leo's - and I am not just saying that cause I'm on his forum, lol! But with Suzanne's book I am hoping to see how it was for her when the awakening happened so spontaneously and how she dealt with the arising fear. As for the end - I think a brain tumour can do weird things to the mental experiences so I am not surprised that she may have felt she "lost" it - when of course you can't ever lose it. Only the body-mind can lose it and I think that's what must have happened.

It's difficult of one of the characters to diagnose the existential reality of one of the other characters in the play.

:roll:

toombaru