truth stands on its own merits
it requires no defence and
it certainly does not argue back
or harangue.

Though in truth I could harangue a meringue
aquarius

Post by aquarius » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:44 am

Searcher: "How can I know if what you tell me is true?"
The Ancient One responded: "Friend, unless it exists, you cannot know the Truth.
For if there is no objective Truth, then why be deluded?
Better try instead to enjoy the brief time left to your pointless existence! But what if a deeper reality actually exists?
To be real, the Truth must stand alone; everything contradicting it must be counterfeit!" Anon.
I love talking about nothing ...
it is the only thing i know anything about.
Xmac

Post by Xmac » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:21 am

There's a great Buddhist story in which Mara (Devil) and his minion watch as a man comes across a piece of truth on the ground. He picks it up and happily keeps it. Then Mara says, "good" and he's pleased. His minion is confused and asks Mara how it is that he is pleased. Mara says that he has a piece of the truth, now he'll take that and make it a belief.

So I say:
Even after long, arduous efforts are made to find the truth, be willing to drop it in a heartbeat because all truth is just a temporary resting place; a symbol of solidity and permanence in that which can only be transitory.
Log on to the inner-net and be kind to your mind (or not).
makara

Post by makara » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:28 am

So I say:
Even after long, arduous efforts are made to find the truth, be willing to drop it in a heartbeat because all truth is just a temporary resting place; a symbol of solidity and permanence in that which can only be transitory.
=D> =D> =D>

Wow ... maybe I'll sign up for yr newsletter
if you keep coming up with sayings like this.
Or is it a quote?
Xmac

Post by Xmac » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:43 am

Haha

It's not a quote, just an extrapolation; just a place to hang my hat for the moment.

The teaching I loved the most from the Buddha was that if you find something that is more valuable to you than Buddhism, you ought to leave Buddhism. I think there was even more, something to the effect that you owe it to Buddhism to leave. So when I did, I left and with an exploding warm gratitude for all I had been shown.
Log on to the inner-net and be kind to your mind (or not).
makara

Post by makara » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:52 am

So when I did, I left and with an exploding warm gratitude for all I had been shown.
Simply and elegantly beautiful!