Phantom itch

Post Reply
maple3
Posts: 1065
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:25 am
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Phantom itch

Post by maple3 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:05 pm

When a person loses a limb, the sensations associated with that limb persist. It can feel as if that limb is still there, moving or bending or tingling, participating with the rest of the body just as before. And it can still hurt... and it can still itch... even though it isn't there. Some of this is explained by physiology.... the nerves that communicate with that limb can still be in place, centralized at the spinal column, still sending signals just as before. Doctors call this a phantom limb, or a phantom pain, or a phantom itch.

I feel like I have a phantom itch right now. I didn't notice this at all while the forum was gone. But now that it's back, there is definitely a phantom itch going on with me. Arrgghh. :(

Before we lost all the posts, I used to spend a lot of time browsing old threads... sometimes pulling up the link to something when it seemed relevant to what was being currently discussed. Now there's a huge impulse to dive into those old threads again... all those wonderful jewels. And over and over the itch keeps rises up even though I fully know there's nothing there to go back to. I guess the habit developed and now it won't let go. It's kinda funny how easily we can be conditioned, how we get very attached to things. But this is an emotional phantom itch, not a physiological one.

The personal self is quite a deeply imbedded habit too. No matter how clear it is that it is just a phantom, the feeling that it's real continues to persist. ... phantom itch... among other things. :roll:


Love
toombaru
Posts: 5189
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 9:02 pm
Location: There are no locations

Re: Phantom itch

Post by toombaru » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:28 pm

maple3 wrote:When a person loses a limb, the sensations associated with that limb persist. It can feel as if that limb is still there, moving or bending or tingling, participating with the rest of the body just as before. And it can still hurt... and it can still itch... even though it isn't there. Some of this is explained by physiology.... the nerves that communicate with that limb can still be in place, centralized at the spinal column, still sending signals just as before. Doctors call this a phantom limb, or a phantom pain, or a phantom itch.

I feel like I have a phantom itch right now. I didn't notice this at all while the forum was gone. But now that it's back, there is definitely a phantom itch going on with me. Arrgghh. :(

Before we lost all the posts, I used to spend a lot of time browsing old threads... sometimes pulling up the link to something when it seemed relevant to what was being currently discussed. Now there's a huge impulse to dive into those old threads again... all those wonderful jewels. And over and over the itch keeps rises up even though I fully know there's nothing there to go back to. I guess the habit developed and now it won't let go. It's kinda funny how easily we can be conditioned, how we get very attached to things. But this is an emotional phantom itch, not a physiological one.

The personal self is quite a deeply imbedded habit too. No matter how clear it is that it is just a phantom, the feeling that it's real continues to persist. ... phantom itch... among other things. :roll:


Love



Phantoms..............and stray dogs..........hang around..... only if they're fed.


:roll:
Tanya
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:43 pm

Post by Tanya » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:49 pm

Toombaru,

What would be feeding this phantom that, by it's nature, is not?
The response, it would seem, to this reply of yours would be - oh, no, it's my fault that this personal self still seems to exist because I am feeding it - or some other such rubbish.

Maple
Not so much a phantom as an idea that is believed in, the belief itself being part of the idea so that nowhere within that framework is there a way out, a key, or any answer.

Tanya
toombaru
Posts: 5189
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 9:02 pm
Location: There are no locations

Post by toombaru » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:20 pm

Tanya wrote:Toombaru,

What would be feeding this phantom that, by it's nature, is not?
The response, it would seem, to this reply of yours would be - oh, no, it's my fault that this personal self still seems to exist because I am feeding it - or some other such rubbish.

Maple
Not so much a phantom as an idea that is believed in, the belief itself being part of the idea so that nowhere within that framework is there a way out, a key, or any answer.

Tanya

The phantom is a self-sustaining breeder-reactor.

It is the machinery through which the absolute manifests.

Its sustenance consists solely of its own accumulated mnemonic debris......For it there is no hope.


It 'exists' only until its alloted energy runs out.



toombaru
maple3
Posts: 1065
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:25 am
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Post by maple3 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:21 pm

Tanya wrote:Maple
Not so much a phantom as an idea that is believed in, the belief itself being part of the idea so that nowhere within that framework is there a way out, a key, or any answer.

Tanya
Tanya? :o

Ahh yes, Tanya :D...

There IS a familiar "ring"...

And suddenly I'm so tickled to pieces :lol:...

...big, big, goofy grin again :D...

And when I've stopped this silly giggling... :lol:
maybe I'll check then to see if any of it still matters :lol:

Thanks mucho! ;)

Love
cimages
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am

Post by cimages » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:21 am

maple3 wrote:
Tanya wrote:Maple
Not so much a phantom as an idea that is believed in, the belief itself being part of the idea so that nowhere within that framework is there a way out, a key, or any answer.

Tanya
Tanya? :o

Ahh yes, Tanya :D...

There IS a familiar "ring"...

And suddenly I'm so tickled to pieces :lol:...

...big, big, goofy grin again :D...

And when I've stopped this silly giggling... :lol:
maybe I'll check then to see if any of it still matters :lol:

Thanks mucho! ;)

Love
Glad you're feeling better Maple3, I knew you would pop back into your old self again or is it your new self?

Thanks Tanya for putting it in perspective for Toombaru!

It reminds me of a old Christian tale (not that I'm a Christian because if I was I would probably NOT be participating on this forum) when Jesus was crusified upon the cross he looked toward the Heavens & said father forgive them for they know not what they do.

This is actually quite profound & appropriate in this case.

WE KNOW NOT WHAT WE DO in this play of the cosmic dance of consciousness. All is as true as untrue!

Peace! 8)
Post Reply